Monday, August 24, 2009

Attitude adjustment

• The sun is shining, it's not too hot or too cold or too windy, the girls are napping & there's my favorite soft drink waiting for me in the fridge.
• School starts tomorrow and the boys are ready to go and excited about a new year and new opportunities.
• I am able to work from home, create my own schedule and pretty much control my days while contributing to the family income and having a little time left over for my scrapbooking hobby.
• Skylar starts Head Start next week - at no charge to us - and gets to ride the bus every day with her little friend from across the street.
• My friend & I have planned a day each week where we'll take both of the younger kids in exchange for the same favor later in the week, providing each of us a free morning all to ourselves.
• The chokecherries are about ripe and I have ample equipment and supplies to properly make syrup and jelly this year, not to mention the opportunity to share this experience with my friend.
•I am relatively healthy and have just about mustered up the motivation and ability to take on an even healthier way of eating and living.
• I have several supportive friends, mostly online, who share similar interests with which I interact on a daily - and sometimes hourly - basis.
• I have a great husband who comes home from a good job every day to help with the kids and share the load.
I'm sure I could continue this list for quite some time ... and probably should do so on a regular basis as it helps me shift from what seems to be an all-too-easy negative or pessimistic outlook on life to a more positive, realistic, happier view. My tendency to land here was brought to my attention again today when contrasted against a post by my friend, who is currently doing a great job of seeing her glass as more than half full...{thanks, Heather!!}
My husband has more than once suggested that I am simply destined to be unhappy. That he can't understand why, when everything seems to be going well for me, I can still find a way to be miserable. Though I don't exactly agree with him, there does seem to be at least a little truth to his statement. And I really don't understand why, especially since I've been aware from a very young age of the power to choose an attitude and basically create one's own experience. I've read tons of books in an effort to figure this out and the quote below has been a favorite of mine since high school ... but it seems I still have a lot to learn. For today, though, I choose to remind myself of all of the positive in my life ... and spare you (and myself) the details of my latest frustrations.

6a010536a85631970b0120a56fdb98970c-500pi.nacXINDrhcM7.jpg
{Butterfly & patterned paper available free from The Shabby Princess Promise Collection}


1 comment:

  1. Today has been a good day but I definitely still have my days where I need constant reminding so glad to have helped at least a little in having you look around to see all of the good surrounding you... because you have a lot of good around you and help brighten many of my days by being supportive when I need it.
    I LOVE the kit you used for this quote! I used it for the graphics on a friend's blog.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin