Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Growing pains.

I still find myself tip-toeing around my office and avoiding all things that make noise, even though I moved Danica's napping crib upstairs today and I could probably scream and yell without waking anyone. Both girls are sleeping peacefully upstairs and this is my work time, so I guess that should be a good thing, right? But for a variety of reasons, I've been resisting this kind of "progress" ever since Dani was born.
I guess it's probably because Dani's my baby and I've decided she will be my last. I love to watch her grow and learn new things, but it's so bittersweet at the same time. When the boys were little, I don't remember it being difficult to make the decision to move them from our bed to the crib ... or the crib to a toddler bed. But with the girls, each of these has felt like an enormous step - one that I have to actually force myself to take.
Skylar will be 3 years old in less than a month ... and she is still sleeping in the crib. I tell myself this is because she is such a good napper, I don't want to upset the routine. And we don't have a bed yet to move her to. Or a space carved out to put it in. But I suppose these are all just convenient "excuses" to keep me from letting her grow up. I think it was easier when I didn't know from experience just how quickly that happens. Case in point: Karstin will be in HIGH SCHOOl next year!
Guess I know what we should get Sky for her birthday, eh? And I guess I should now try to focus on getting some work done, since these few short hours of uninterrupted quiet time are somewhat scarce. Then maybe when they do wake up, I'll be able to enjoy them without feeling guilty for not doing something else...
It's a vicious cycle.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin